The Vasa Museum houses the impressively preserved royal warship Vasa, which sank on its maiden voyage in 1628 and was salvaged in 1961. The current museum, which opened in 1990, was designed to accommodate 600,000 visitors per years. In recent years the museum has received more than 1.2 million visitors annually, leading to long lines at the entrance and crowding around the most popular displays.
During the closure a new annex will be added to the existing building. It will include a hall for temporary exhibits, a new museum shop, a new entrance hall with a greater capacity for groups, and well as additional space to improve visitor services. The new facilities will also be designed to let in more natural light than the main building, which is kept fairly dark to help preserve the ship.
The museum will reopen to the public on May 1.